Creating tie-dyed clothing is a lot of fun! Some aspects are messy, definitely wear gloves, and cover the area, then the clean up is easy. One of the best ways to prevent getting splashes of color all over the house is to take the project outside or to the garage. Unlike other projects, tie dye creations remain a surprise until they are untied.
Supplies you will need:
- Cotton white t-shirt, bike shorts, socks, etc.
- A Tie-Dye Set that includes dye colors, gloves and rubber bands. These can be purchased from Walmart.com, Amazon, or search on Google.
- A tarp or plastic sheet to keep your mess contained.
1. Lay out the shirt on a flat surface. Pinch the middle with one hand and twist until the shirt makes a tight spiral shape. Or roll the shirt up. Use rubber bands to segment the shirt into sections.
2. Select the colors of dye you want to use. Add water to the bottles of dye and shake to mix them up. Put on your plastic gloves. Squeeze each of the dye bottles onto the sections, each section should be a different color. Turn the shirt over and repeat the process on the back.
3. When you’re finished dyeing, wrap the shirt in plastic wrap or put in the zip-top bag and let it dry for up to 12 hours. Rinse the excess dye off the shirt with water, and then wash it by itself in the washing machine.
4. Enjoy your perfect T-shirt!